Tenants contents insurance

For social housing tenants and leaseholders. Protecting the contents of your home, garage and shed if your possessions are stolen, damaged, or destroyed in an incident like a fire or a flood.

Protect your home's contents from £15.65 a year*

man carrying box into house

Get a quote

Ready to get a quote for tenants contents insurance? Simply call us on (+44) 0345 671 8172 or get a quote online.

Make a claim

If you need to make a claim, we will work to put things right as quickly as we can. You can also call us to make a claim on (+44) 0345 671 8171.

Why you might need cover

woman in a house surrounded by boxes

Protect the things that matter

Should anything happen, have peace of mind that you've protected your belongings. Things like your TV, kitchen appliances, furniture and other gadgets.

lady doing her laundry in a kitchen

You can claim when needed

You can make a claim if your home’s contents are stolen or damaged by vandalism, water leaks, flooding, storms, or fire. Even a freezer full of defrosted dinners or lost keys are included under our policy.

man sitting on chair with a smartphone

Accidental damage cover

You can upgrade your cover to protect your belongings against accidental damage. This protects your contents against accidents such as spilling red wine on the sofa or dropping your phone and smashing it.

people waiting for a bus

Taking possessions out of the home

You can also upgrade your cover to protect your possessions when they are away from home. This includes items like bicycles, hearing aids/mobility scooters and wheelchairs.

lady sitting on the sofa with a laptop

How much does cover cost?

We want to make our contents insurance as affordable as possible.

  • Contents cover starts from 45p a week, £1.47 a month, or £15.65 a year for £4,000 worth of contents cover*
  • You don't need to pay an excess on claims or fees for changing your details or cancelling your insurance

(*The price shown is for £4,000 cover, based on postcode, and includes a transaction fee. Excludes accidental damage and optional covers. Price depends on individual circumstances, postcode and cover chosen. RSA price data June 2023.)

man sitting in a chair on a smartphone

How much are your contents worth?

Getting the right amount of contents insurance is important. Follow our guide to calculate the cost of your belongings. Go room by room, to make sure you’re getting the level of cover that you need.
Work out the value of your contents

Useful guides and documents

From handy checklists to more information on our tenants contents insurance product.

Why choose RSA?

Our expertise

We insure over 25,000* social housing tenants and leaseholders like you. So, we understand what you need from us.

(*Active policyholders - April 2023)

Simple claims process

If you ever need to make a claim, we will put things right as quickly as we can.

Simply call us on 0345 671 8171 or submit your claim online.

No fees to pay

We do not charge any fees and there is no excess if you need to make a claim.

It is also free of charge to cancel or make changes to your policy.

Landlord approved

94 social housing landlords across the UK have given us the thumbs up, so you know you’re in safe hands.

Check your postcode to see if your landlord has pre-approved us.

Ready to get a quote for tenants contents insurance?

Simply call us on 0345 671 8172 or get a quote online.

image of a woman applying lipstick in a mirror

What's included?

  • Everything you’d take with you if you moved home
  • Lost or stolen keys
  • Freezer contents
  • Bicycles (in the home)
  • Office homeworking equipment
  • Floor coverings, curtains and any improvements you’ve paid for
  • Cost of alternative accommodation after certain types of damage

man making some toast in a kitchen

What isn't included?

  • Accidental damage (option to upgrade to cover this)
  • Your landlord’s possessions 
  • Your landlord’s toilet, bath, shower, and sink
  • Your landlord’s kitchen units and fitted/built-in appliances 
  • Your landlord’s fitted units, cupboards and wardrobes 
  • Your landlord’s fixed mirrors and light fittings 

Types of tenants contents insurance cover

Simple contents insurance cover

Simple covers your home contents and personal items. Your contents includes bicycles and computer equipment when in your home. Accidental loss in the home is not covered.

Simple+ contents insurance cover

Simple+ covers you for everything included in Simple contents insurance. Plus it gives you full Accidental Damage protection for the contents in your home. For example, repair or replacement if you accidentally broke a vase or damaged your TV.

Frequently asked questions

If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, give us a call on 0345 671 8172.

Ready to get a quote for tenants contents insurance?

If you have any questions, give us a call on 0345 671 8172 or get a quote online