Working out the value of your contents
How much are your belongings worth?
When you apply for tenants contents insurance you need to provide an accurate cost of your belongings. This is the amount it will cost to replace all your belongings as new.
This total amount is the maximum that we would pay if you had to make a claim. For example if all of your belongings were damaged, destroyed or stolen.
What cover limits do we offer?
Here at RSA, we offer cover for contents valued between £4,000 and £40,000. Any valuation below or above these amounts would not be covered by this insurance.
How to estimate the cost of your contents
- Walk around your home, room by room, and make a list of your contents.
- You must work out accurate costs of items in your home. If you are unsure, look online for the cost of a similar new item.
- Don't forget to add in the cost of any smaller items in your home, such as clothing, cosmetics, books etc.
- We include a handy calculator for each room in your home. The calculator will round your total upwards to the nearest thousand to ensure you're fully covered. For example, if the cost to replace your total contents is £9,400, our calculator will round the total cover amount up to £10,000.
Living and dining rooms
From televisions to dining tables, work out the cost of contents in your main living spaces. For example:
- Audio and computer equipment
- Throws and cushions
- Tables and chairs
- Other furniture
Add up the cost of everything that you own in your kitchen. For example:
- Appliances (fridge, kettle, microwave)
- Cooking utensils (cheese grater, can openers, saucepans)
- Cutlery (knives, forks, spoons)
- Crockery (plates, bowls)
- Cleaning equipment and materials
- Food and drink
Work out the cost of furniture, clothes and other items in bedrooms. For example:
- Bedding and linen
- Wardrobe and other furniture
- Clothes and shoes
- Valuables (jewellery or anything of sentimental value)
Have you included the value of all your toiletries and bathroom items? For example:
- Freestanding storage
Outbuildings and garages
We provide cover for up to £3,000 of contents in outbuildings, garages and sheds. For example:
- Lawn mowers
- Garden equipment
- Garden furniture
Total cover required
Don't forget to add
- Any gifted items and belongings that were bought second hand or from charity shops.
- Any contents in your attic or basement.
Working out the total value of your contents
- Add together the value of contents in each room.
- This will give you a total value of all your belongings.
- Provide this total value when you apply for tenants contents insurance. This will ensure you have the right amount of cover.
Ready to apply for tenants contents insurance?
Call us on 0345 671 8172 or apply online.