Tradespeople and Homeworkers FAQs
This page lists answers to questions frequently asked by brokers using RSA's Tradespeople and Homeworkers product.
Our product is for those without a business premises who normally work at home or at other people’s property. Our Shops, Offices or Business Combined products may be better suited for your clients’ needs.
Yes but only up to the maximum number of employees.
Our product will allow work up 15 metres. Note that this relates to the distance that is reliant upon ladders, cranes or similar from the ground, or from hoists, cables or similar suspended from the structure itself and also note that both policy and Employers' Liability eligibility may mean that certain trades with particular work at height concerns may not be acceptable.
Our product will allow work up three metres in depth.
Our product does not impose additional restrictions on this activity, but all contracts and activities must be otherwise acceptable to RSA.
Our product can provide a quotation for some forms of hot work away from clients' premises, provided that the Heat Application Requirements are adhered to.
Our product does not impose additional restrictions on this activity but all contracts and activities must be otherwise acceptable to RSA.
Yes, our product can provide cover for up to seven trades, depending on the software house that is used. Each of those seven trades needs to be acceptable to RSA and you’ll just need to select which of them is the main trade.
Yes, our product will cover most treatments, provided that they are not invasive or medical and are carried out either by qualified staff or under the supervision of qualified staff.
Our product will exclude the following, unless otherwise agreed:
- Demolition (unless it forms part of a contract undertaken for rebuilding, alteration maintenance or repair)
- Roofing of any description unless it forms no more than 20% of the monetary value of any contract undertaken
- Any work in or on airports, aircraft, watercraft, collieries, mines, gas, petrochemical and chemical works, railways, railway installations, power stations, oil refineries, fuel depots, quarries, offshore rigs or platforms
- Any work on bridges, viaducts, subways, chimney shafts, blast furnaces, steeples, tunnels, docks, piers or wharves, motorways or dams
- Piling, underpinning, the use of explosives or work in or on or adjacent to rivers, lakes and tidal waters
- Transport or use of any hazardous substances such as gases, Asbestos, radioactive substances, or toxic chemicals
Our product is designed for low to medium risk construction contracts, those doing non-manual or light manual work from home or professional services based from home. Hazardous activities will be excluded as well as specific additional restrictions for certain trades that are otherwise eligible. Our product is NOT designed for clubs, those operating primarily in the manufacturing, wholesale/retail, care or education sectors.
The following covers are available:
- Employers' Liability of £10,000,000, provided that the activities of the employees are acceptable to RSA
- Contract Works up to a Maximum Contract Price of £750,000, provided that the activities are deemed by RSA to be in the construction sector and the trade activities are acceptable
- Hired In Plant up to £75,000 maximum limit per item, provided that the activities are deemed by RSA to be in the construction sector and the trade activities are acceptable
- Own Plant up to £50,000 maximum limit per item and in total, provided that the activities are deemed by RSA to be in the construction sector and the trade activities are acceptable
- Tools up to £25,000 per person with a £1500 single article limit
- Business stock up to £10,000
- Business equipment up to £20,000
- Personal accident for permanent staff for employment-related accidents up to £35,000 for death and capital benefits, £500 per week for temporary total disablement and £200 per week for temporary partial disablement
The following covers are not available and will be removed from any quote request so that a quote can be considered for the remaining available covers:
- Business Interruption
- Business Travel
- Professional Indemnity
Yes. We will only provide a quotation if the request includes Public Liability cover. Legal expenses cover is also included as standard.
This depends on your software house and which version of our product that you are using but in general, firms with a maximum of up to eight persons can be covered.
Whilst the number of workers against each employee group needs to be included in the quote request, not all of these form part of that maximum number. For example, because bona fide sub-contractors are subject to separate limits per policy based on the overall number of other workers, they are not included in this limit also.
Yes, our product will allow the use of persons temporarily employed, provided that the total number of days engaged does not exceed 50 days during any one Period of Insurance.
Our product can include Tools and Equipment cover on an All Risks basis with the following limitations:
- No cover to labour only sub-contractors or bona fide sub-contractors even if they are noted on the policy
- Not available for all trades
- Theft must be forcible and violent
- Theft from an unattended vehicle overnight is included as standard