Making a personal insurance claim

Find out how to make a new personal insurance claim, or check on your existing claim.

Clearchoice and Preferred Choice are RSA home insurance products sold through our brokers. On this page, you'll also find information about how to make a claim for another product.

Make a new claim

Before you start your claim

Check your cover and excesses which you can find in your policy schedule. Different types of claims may have different excesses.

If you're claiming for valuables, please check your overall cover limits and if any single item limits apply.

You will also need to have your policy number to hand.

London apartment with the Shard in the background

Buildings claims

You may need to make a buildings claim if damage has been caused to the structure of your home. For example, plumbing, walls, roof, windows, kitchen units and bathroom suites.

When you register your claim we'll ask you to provide details including:

  • What happened
  • What part of your home has been damaged
  • Which rooms have been affected
  • If your home is secure
  • If there are any issues with your water or electricity supply
  • How much you have been quoted to fix the damage
  • Photographs of the damage

Contents and personal possessions claims

Contents include items in your home that could be taken with you if you moved home. For example, furniture, TVs, laptops, jewellery and clothing.

Interior lighting and sofa in the home

When you register your claim, we'll ask you to provide details including:

  • When the incident happened
  • The type of item(s) you are claiming for such as electrical or jewellery
  • Make, model and serial number of TVs/appliances/other electronic devices
  • Make, model, storage capacity, colour and IMEI numbers of mobile phones and tablets
  • Photographs of the items you are claiming for
  • We may also need proof of ownership e.g. a receipt/invoice and details of where it was purchased

If you have experienced a break-in:

You'll need to contact the police and obtain a crime reference number, which we'll ask for if you make a claim.

Theft or loss of possessions away from home:

Firstly, check you have personal possessions cover included with your policy. You can find this information in your policy schedule.

When you register your claim, we'll need you to tell us where you think you lost the item(s) or where the item(s) were stolen. Plus the crime reference number, if we request that.

Parent on laptop with child on sofa

What happens next?

When you register your claim, we'll call you if we need more information.

Please note, we'll only call between 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, or 9am to 5pm Saturday.

We can also put you in touch with an authorised tradesperson if necessary.

RSA Clearchoice

0330 102 4010
Call us to make or track a claim.

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm

Saturday: 9am to 5pm

RSA Preferred Choice

0330 102 2831
Call us to make or track a claim.

Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm

Tenants Contents Insurance

0345 671 8171
Call us to make or track a claim.

Monday to Friday: 9am to 5pm

If you have hearing or speech difficulties:

  • Textphone via Relay UK: Add 18001 before dialing; or